IT policies and guidelines
There are a number of regulations and guidelines covering the use of our systems and services. As an IT user at The University of Manchester, you are expected to abide by these regulations and guidelines.
Policies and regulations
Standard operating procedures
Technical security standards
- Cryptography TSSDefines the security controls and processes associated with cryptography used to protect data both in transit and at rest.
- Password TSSDefines the security controls relating to user accounts, privileged access management, passwords and other authentication methods.
- Managed Desktop Environment TSSDefines the standard configuration of Managed Desktop computers provided by the University.
- Patching TSSDefines the security controls and processes associated with the deployment of security and other patches.
- Malware Defence TSSEnsuring appropriate controls are maintained to defend against malware exploiting vulnerabilities on the University’s internal network.
- Firewall TSSEnsuring appropriate controls are maintained and managed in the University’s Firewalls to defend zones and network segments from unauthorised or inappropriate access.
Defines how user accounts and privileges are created, managed and deleted.
IT continuity management and planning
Sets out the processes for assessing and addressing risks to continuity of IT applications and defines responsibilities for preparing and implementing continuity plans.
Information security responsibilities